Thursday, January 26, 2012

Two New Finishes (almost) and Show Choir Glitter

The last couple of weeks have been fairly stressful.  We lost my father-in-law quite suddenly.  Nathan did a wonderful job coordinating the funeral arrangements.  He was much more diplomatic than I would have been.  Because of this, our life has been a bit chaotic.  Nathan had to finish a drill one night because of the funeral schedule and had to work for 21 1/2 hours straight.  We had family in and out for various reasons and are just getting back to a normal schedule this week....except, I was sick last night and today the kids are both sick and stayed home from school.  In spite of this I have got some things done.  I picked up a top from the quilters.  I call it my pond quilt.  It is a traditional quilt pattern named "Jacob's Ladder"
The quilter quilted it with swirly lines in a variegated blue thread.  I am going to bind it in dark blue.
I also finished quilting a twin sized quilt called film strip.
I did a plaid type of pattern and I think that I am going to bind it in the purple.
I also did a pieced back.  I used some large scale Amy Butler that I picked up at FM fabric in Springfield, Mo.  Love that place.
I also made a sample block.  This cross block finishes at 5 inches and I think that I will make up a throw sized quilt with these.  I am keeping the color palate on the cool side, only using blues, greens, purples, and greys.

On the family front, Iris participated in her first show choir competition.  They won 1st place in the morning competition and won 2nd in the evening.  The kids have to wear all matching make up and have their hair the same.
There is alot of them.  About 60 kids are in the middle school show choir.  Iris is in the back row.
She looks so grown up with make up. It was a long day.  The kids had to leave the school, with hair done at 6:15 in the morning.  We did not get back home till after midnight.  I have volunteered to do hair at all competitions and am not sure what I have gotten myself into.  Well I am off to make binding.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It seems like she was just a little girl... Now she looks all grown up.

    Love the quilts, especially the first one with the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't respond to you on my blog as you are a no=reply blogger. I had to visit your blog and I am delighted with your wonderful quilts. Love how your mix of family and life fill a nice blend of a blog.

    ReplyDelete